We finally made it to Salzburg, got settled into our hotel, and headed out to dinner at Augustiner Braustubl, a huge 1000-seat beer garden within a monk run brewery.
Gotta fuel up for our big bike ride scheduled for the morning!!
We did the Sound of Music bike tour Friday morning.
Grace and Matt rode tandem...
And I pulled Audrey in a trailer...
It was probably the best part of the entire trip! I think the girls even enjoyed it. But there were two hills ... the first one I attempted, and only made it a quarter of the way up before I had to get off and walk. The second hill....the tour guide swapped bikes with me, and even he had to walk part of the way up.
Basically you hit all the big sites from the movie. But it was also a nice way to get oriented to Salzburg.
Every time we went by this fountain, there was a group singing Do Re Mi. Sometimes, like below, multiple groups....
We couldn't go inside, but this is the theater where the family performed in the festival. It is still used today.
In the beginning of the movie, Maria runs by this fountain singing, and splashes the water at the horse....
The gate of the Abbey. A real Abbey. Also still in use today.
The back of the Von Trapp house.
The front of the house. And now we notice that they didn't use the same house when filming different scenes....
And the gazebo.....which they've had to lock because one too many people have injured themselves re-enacting jumping from bench to bench singing 'I am 15, going on 16'.
It was a fantastic tour, highly recommend!
Here are all of the pictures I took along the way: Sound of Music
Friday, April 18, 2014
Fraulein Maria's Bike Tour - Sound of Music
Labels:
Austria,
Bike Tour,
Salzburg,
Sound of Music,
Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment