Thought you may all enjoy my Monday morning fiasco....
I had to go to the local grocery store to get some things for dinner, get some pictures taken for our photo IDs and have a spare key made. Sounds easy enough. Matt drove with me yesterday so I would know my way. Stores are closed on Sunday, so we couldn't just do it then......
So I load the girls up around 10am and head out. Found my way easy enough. Got a parking spot. Got out and suited up with the Ergo to carry Audrey so Grace could ride in the cart. And that's about when Audrey started to scream. And she proceeded to scream until we got back to the car. She screamed while we got our cart - which it's like Aldi here and you have to pay for your cart ( you get it back when you return the cart). She screamed while we walked inside. She screamed while we waited patiently for the man who would take our pictures and make our keys finished with another customer. She screamed while I tried to explain with minimal french and a lot of finger pointing that I needed 3 pictures for each girl and 5 for me, and one each of both house keys. Turns out pictures come in sheets of 4, so once we all understood that, we were doing good. All except Audrey who just continued to scream. Grace did great getting her picture taken! She even smiled nicely! I look frazzeled in mine, and Audrey looks like she is screaming, which she was...... so anyway, we pay, and then head off to grocery shop......Audrey screaming the whole way. The whole store is looking at me like I'm stabbing her in her eyeballs. I felt like someone was stabbing me in my eyeballs. So we're halfway through the store, I'm trying desperately to find Worcestershire sauce. And then a mouse ran in front of me. I think Grace and I both jumped out of our shoes. Any squealing we may have done, or those around us with in 50 feet were of course muffled by Audrey's screaming! I threw in the towel on the Worcestershire sauce, and headed to the checkout. The nice girl spoke English to me, so that was a plus. I forgot my bags, so had to buy some......
So we get out to the car..... Audrey is still screaming..... we load up, return our cart, get our Euro back.... and try to head home..... and get to where I have to turn on the only street I know to take home, and it is closed for PAVING. Luckily, Audrey is not screaming anymore. The GPS can't acquire satelites, I have no cell phone, don't speak French, Brussels roads are crazy.... so I just start driving. I must have circled the grocery store 5 times before I got brave enough to go down a new street. And every time I tried a new street, I circled back a little bit so I could at least get myself back to the store so we could just walk, if need be. I finally found a familiar landmark and got myself home. But I think it will be awhile before I drive again. At least until they are done paving the one road I know!
Monday, August 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You are a brave woman :) I would have lost it at the mouse for sure!
That's my "MiMi"!
Wow, Liz! What an adventure - I ditto what Debi said!
WOW. That sounds like one um, eventful outing for sure. But it sounds like you held it together, which might be more than I could say if I were in the same situation...hopefully you had a large glass of vino when you got home, even if it was only noon :) You'll be speaking French and whipping around the roundabouts in no time girl, don't worry!!! xo
Zut alors! That's a rough day! Think of the mouse as The one from ratatouille! ;)
Go Girl!!!!!
Show them what an American Girl is like.
Hugs and kisses to all.
Louie
Liz! This is crazy! I've enjoyed reading about your adventures abroad this morning as I procrastinate at work. Please send me your email address. I have lots of catching up w/you to do!
Post a Comment