Just back from visiting the doctor for Audrey's 5 Month visit.
I think it is routine in Belgium for infants to have a 5 month visit, even though we were also going for a make up vaccine.
She did a whole exam, and we talked a great bit about feeding. She advocates making baby food. They don't normally feed babies cereal here. She was ok with us continuing, but it is not necessary. Babies go straight to vegetables at 5 months, and she wants us to start with carrots. You mix 2/3 carrots with 1/3 potatoes. I think the potato is just to weigh it down in the belly. Same deal as in the US....try something for 4 days or so before moving onto the next vegetable, so to rule out any allergies/reactions.
Here are Audrey's stats:
Weight: 6.020 kg = 13.27lbs. - 25th percentile
Height: 64.5 cm = 25.39 inches - 75th percentile
Head: 42 cm = 50-75th percentile
So.....red flag......Audrey is dropping curves in the weight department. :( At this point she strongly encouraged me to start the vegetables. I don't have a problem with that..... I think we'll continue doing the cereal this week, and start the vegetables next week. I want to give Audrey some time to practice, especially if I'm going to go through the trouble of MAKING the baby food (don't want the good stuff to go to waste). Since she also has the shortened frenulum (tongue tied), I want to make sure she is not having issues moving the solids around her mouth. It shouldn't be a problem since she doesn't have any issues nursing, and I've noticed lately her sticking her tongue out quite far, but just something we want to make sure we're watching.
So, other then that.......everything else was peachy keen. It was a little bit of an overwhelming visit. The doctor speaks pretty good English, but we're both struggling to find the right words so we understand each other. And they just seem to do things differently. But so far, I really like her. She's young, and very willing to answer all my questions and address my concerns. I brought the vaccination schedule from my Atlanta pedi's office, and she is very willing to follow it as closely as she can.
We go again at 6 months, so hopefully we'll be back on track in the weight department.
Here's a picture of the two sisters. It's not the best picture of the two of them, but side by side, you can see that Audrey is for sure not starving to death. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad that you found some that you really do like and is willing to work with you! I'm sure she will be up on the weight curve again in no time. She's growing up so fast too!
For sure she is not starving! They both sure are cute!
Post a Comment